The Life House Youth Drop-in Center serves approximately 600 youth per year, providing a safe, adult-supervised place for kids to socialize as well as to access emergency needs (food, shelter, basic health care), independent living skills development, and on-site supportive services. In Duluth, homeless kids know that the Youth Center is a place they can go to get off the streets, talk with a positive adult, and receive respect and support in a safe, drug and alcohol-free environment.
The Youth Center is the heartbeat of our organization. Youth Center staff “meet and greet” each youth daily, engaging high-risk kids in relationship-building and discussions on life goals and issues. As youth needs arise, connection to Life House supportive services begins quickly, and efficiently.
The Youth Center
- is available to all youth ages 14-20
- is open weekdays 3pm-8pm (Wednesdays 3pm-6pm), and Saturdays 1pm-3pm
- offers free hot meals, 6 days per week
- provides daily independent living classes held on-site, available for high school credit
- hosts weekly support groups including PAVSA (Program for Aid to Victims of Sexual Assault), Men as Peacemakers, and our Youth Board
- offers emergency transportation assistance and on-site childcare services
- provides celebrations for youth birthdays, holidays, and high school graduation
- is a drug-free, safe place where kids are free to be kids
For more info contact:
Ahna Pelto, Youth Center Lead
Phone: (218) 722-7431 x. 26
To contact Life House staff by email, just add together the following (no spaces):
- first name (.) last name @life-house.org